Frequently Asked Questions

Where is your office located?

Our physical address is 1201 Dunbar Ave., Dunbar, WV 25064.

What is your mailing address?

PO Box 40235, Charleston, WV 25364

If I drop my application/renewal off, will I get my license/certificate the same day?

No. Our office is no longer able to process any application/renewal the same day. The fee has to be processed by the West Virginia State Treasurer's Office before we get the application to be processed.

Can I pay for my application/renewal over the phone?

No. Beginning around December 2019, we no longer are legally able to take payment over the phone.

How do I renew my license/certificate?

Individual licenses, salon/shop licenses, and booth rental certificates may be renewed online. You can also send those through the mail with a check/money order. Instructor certification renewals must be sent through the mail with a check/money order.

How do I change my name?

To change your name, you must submit legal documentation showing your name has been changed (i.e., a marriage certificate/license, divorce decree, or court order.) You may email a picture of this documentation to: OR send it through the mail.

When can I expect my license?

During the renewal period of November 1st through January 31st, you should receive your license within 30 days after the day you renewed. Any time between February 1st through October 31st, you should receive your license within 2-3 weeks.

How do I transfer my license to West Virginia?

To begin the process, please request a license certification/verification from the state you are coming from. Then, please complete the Transfer License to West Virginia (Reciprocity) Application that can be found under Applications on our website.

How do I transfer my license from West Virginia to another state?

To begin the process, please contact the state you are transferring to in order to obtain that state's requirements for transfers/reciprocity. You will need to request a License Certification from West Virginia, which you can either complete online or you may submit the application through the mail.

How long does it take to process a License Certification Request?

We ask that you give us at least 2 weeks to allow time for processing. It will be emailed to the state you provided.

How do I get in contact with my Inspector?

We do not give out the phone numbers for our Board Inspectors. You may call or email the office and request we give the inspector your contact information.

What do I do if my renewal is late?

There is a grace period through the month of January for individual licenses and instructor certifications. Beginning February 1st, there is a $10 late fee added each month the renewal is late. Individual license and instructor certification fees cannot exceed $205. There is a grace period through the month of July for salon/shop licenses and booth rental certificates. Beginning August 1st, there is a $10 late fee added each month the renewal is late. Booth rental certificates cannot exceed $100. There is not a cap on late salon/shop renewals.

How can I change the location of my booth rental certificate?

To change the location of your booth rental certificate, you must submit the booth rental certificate application through the mail OR you may do this online under the online Booth Rental renewal. If you complete the change online, please make sure to enter the new salon/shop license number where you are now located when prompted.

Copyright 2024 by West Virginia Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists