If you are already licensed in another state, please click here.
Individuals interested in becoming a licensed barber, cosmetologists, nail technician, or aesthetician should follow the steps outlined below:
- Contact a Board approved school. [List of Schools]
- Discuss financial aid/payment plans with Schools.
- Have a Certificate of Health form completed by a licensed physician.
- Complete Student Registration Form. Student Registration.pdf
- Complete the required courses and hours.
- Apply for examination with third-party examiner. Click here.
- Pass examination.
- Obtain license in desired field of practice. Application for Registration (Initial License).pdf
If you have a foreign high school diploma, foreign transcripts from a beauty school or if you attended a domestic online high school and wish to apply for a license with the West Virginia State Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists, you must have your education evaluated by a professional evaluation company. The Board has approved Aequo International as the sole provider of education evaluations for cosmetology, nail technician, hair styling, aesthetics and barbering candidates with international and domestic online education. Candidates are responsible for paying the application fee of $125. Click here to apply for an evaluation. Candidates must submit original or official educational documents directly to Aequo International for evaluation purposes. Please do not send your documents to the West Virginia State Board of Barbers and Cosmetologists, we will not evaluate them. Once the evaluation is complete, Aequo International will send an electronic evaluation report to the board for review. If you have any questions about the education evaluation application or process, please contact Aequo International at 844.882.3786 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.