INSTRUCTOR CERTIFICATION PROCESS AND PROCEDURES
To obtain the licensed professional must complete the following:
- Contact Mr. Richard Yocke and register for the 2-day Teaching Techniques Seminar associated with WVU Tech, Department of Career Technical Education and successfully complete the 2-day Teaching Techniques Seminar.
- Pass the National Instructor Theory Exam by a minimum score of 80%. The test will be administered by D.L. Roope.
- Pass the State Law Exam by a minimum score of 80%. The test will be administered by D.L. Roope.
- Complete the application for the Instructor Certification and submit to WVBBC; 1201 Dunbar Avenue, Dunbar, WV 25064.
Instructions on registering for 2-Day Seminar with WVU Tech, Department of Career Technical Education
- Contact Mr. Richard Yocke, Teaching Associate Professor by email at Richard.Yocke@mail.wvu.edu
- Provide the following information: Name, Address, Phone, and email.
- Mr. Yocke will confirm your registration and will provide you with information and materials to assist in the preparation of the 2-day seminar.
- If you have any questions regarding the 2-Day Teaching Techniques Seminar, please contact Mr. Yocke by email or cell at 304-544-9990.
Information and Details of the 2-Day Teaching Techniques Seminar
- The seminar will be conducted from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM on Monday and 8:30 AM to 2:15 PM Tuesday.
- During the seminar you will get the theoretical background and skills essential for success as a cosmetology educator. You receive an overview of teaching methods, learning styles, lesson planning, equity and diversity in the classroom, mandated reporting, and legal and ethical issues.
- There will be a minimal registration fee for the seminar. That cost will be determined by the Department of CTE.
Information on registering for National Instructor Theory Examination and State Law Exam
- Contact D.L. Roope at 888-375-2020 to request instructions on how to register for the exams. You may register by regular mail or online at http://www.dlroope.com/west_virginia.cfm?state=7 before the deadline listed.
- The National Instructor Theory exam has questions that pertain to: Instructional Methods, Instructional Planning & Classroom/Clinic Management. For information on this exam, please clink on the following link for scope of the examination http://www.dlroope.com/forms/all_states/NIC_Instructor_Written_CIB.pdf.
- The WV State Law exam will assess that the applicant has knowledge of the laws, rules, and regulations that govern the profession. For information on study materials, please click on Laws, Rules, & Statutes and study West Virginia Code Chapter 30 Article 27.
- The National Instructor Theory Examination and the State Law Exam will be administered on following the seminar on Tuesday afternoon. A representative from D.L. Roope will proctor the exam.
Applying for the Instructors Exam
- Once you have passed the exams with D.L. Roope and completed the seminar with WVU Tech, you will submit an Instructor Certification Application to the Board office. There is a $50 certification fee that is required with the application, along with a copy of your test results from D.L. Roope and an official certificate from WVU Tech, Department of Career Technical Education. Please see the instructor certification application for other required documentation.